Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Commentary on Trek

Although I love all things Trek, I'm less enthusiastic to see its latest incarnation. The 2009 reboot or alternate time line version, if you will, left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm glad that Star Trek is getting all the attention again and that they were able to finally launch a new movie franchise but as a long time Trek fan, i could definitely say that it does not feel like Star Trek.

I started watching Star Trek during The Next Generation run and then I started going back to The Original Series. I have enjoyed most of the movies with TOS and TNG cast even the ones that critics love to hate (the odd-numbered sequels). I was blown away when I saw the final episode of TNG, "All Good Things...", which I think is way better than the movie Generations (although I love seeing Kirk and Picard together) and I even enjoyed Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

So when a new Star Trek film was announced during 2009 I was one of the many who were excited about it. But again, after seeing it -- it felt empty. The characters were there, Kirk, McCoy, Spock, etc. But they felt different. The interactions that I love between the TOS characters felt lacking. The only good thing about the movie, at least for me, is Zachary Quinto. He is the perfect Spock, as Sheldon would whole-heartedly agree. I think the worst episode for TOS or TNG is still better than the 2009 Trek film.

Anyway, I know that after letting out all these rants, I would still be watching Into Darkness, hopefully this weekend. And I know that I might not enjoy it totally, but I would still give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...